30 Years of Rocky Horror / Starting a New Generation



Halloween night 1986, I ventured into a show of THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW at the insistence of Kevin Fyffe, an old friend from high school.  I knew he had been going for some time and Halloween after doing my thing dressed as Freddy Krueger, I headed over to the old UA theatre at Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach (which is no longer around).  After that show, I ended up going every weekend that I could and eventually got conned into playing Brad when their Brad did not show up and ending up joining the cast immediately.  

Also on that Halloween night in 1986, my wife Viki, also attended her very first RHPS in Norfolk, Virginia.  She was also, interestingly enough, dressed as Freddy Krueger. She also ended up joining their cast and played Crim. In 1990, the GM (Hayden Ware) of the UA theatre I was performing at threw our cast out because he never liked Rocky Horror and made whatever excuse he could to toss us out.  For a few months, without doing a show, I got antsy and decided to wander on over to Norfolk to see their show.  I ended up joining that cast shortly after that despite being hit on two of the cast mates I had no interest in…Looking at you Collin and Jenn wherever you two may be.  Around then is when I eventually met Viki.  By 1996 we were dating and by 10/31/1998, we were married.




Here we are, October of 2016 and neither one of us have performed a show since 2001 but have seen a few shows and we are going out tonight to see the show here in Denver at the Esquire Theatre.  We have seen this cast (Colorado’s Elusive Ingredient) perform before at Red Rocks in front of a world record audience back on 8/13/2013.  You can check it here



What makes this show special?  Not only is this marks nearly 30 years ago we both saw this movie and change our lives and led us to each other, we will be also sacrificing our oldest daughter to the Virgin Gods of Rocky Horror.  She has never seen this show LIVE and really has no idea what is coming her way.  More to come...

Comments

Popular Posts