Particle Physics Gives Me A Hadron

LHC2.jpg


It is upon us. Science geek Nirvana or epic fail. In any case, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) goes live today at full power. Actually, it is happening as I type this right now (you can see the feed here http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/). I may be saucy, angsty, angry cantankerous or sacrilegious quite a bit on this here, internet thingy but I am always ALL geek.



As a child I read science manuals for leisure. I built my first computer when I was 14 years old in 1984. I went to college for engineering and then changed majors to computer science. I even had a very short lived stint as a programming apprentice for an über religious right winger who was in league with Pat Robertson ( I know, I was a sell out…another blog, another time)…and again I digress as usual.



Even though I plunged head first back into my other geek obsession, movie theatres, I still kept my toes in the science geek world. With the intertubes keeping me even more connected to this geek world, I can keep up with some hardcore science. Case in point, The Large Hadron Collider. I will not go too deeply into what it is, I will just let you see read this… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider and see this … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQNpucos9wc good stuff to get your geek on.



LHC1.jpg



In any case, after a couple failed attempts to get the LHC running even at low power settings, it is up and running now. This machine, this VERY LARGE machine, science will get us closer to Einstein's (and many other scientists) vision of a Theory Of Everything. It will correct and unify all theories that these amazing scientists have been working on for many years.



This is a beautiful thing and could get all of those religious nut bags shut the hell up about their fantasy 6000 year history of creation. This machine could prove the Big Bang Theory. That is of course that the LHC does not create a black hole and destroy the Earth in the process today. Anyhoo, I am saying goodbye to either…



1. The religious whackjobs in the world about to be awaken to the REAL creation of this world and universe PROVEN by the wonders of science and FACTS, not faith.


2. To everyone before the LHC has our world sucked into the void of space.



I am really pulling for #1 to happen here, which is more likely to happen. Fuck…who am I kidding? They will even get more outspoken against science and try to have it outlawed even more so like in Texas text books. In any case, here's to wishful thinking that those scientists get the job done today. Make us (the human race) proud.



Very exciting times to be a geek.



LHC3.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts