Burton in "Underland"

0624burton1.jpg


My assistants, my staff and I got our asses kicked at the theatre this weekend. We were completely inundated with people coming in to watch ALICE IN WONDERLAND. So, I had to go see the movie myself for two reasons…I had to see all the fuss is about and I am a big, no, HUGE Tim Burton fan. With that, since I have gotten myself eyeball deep in this social networking thingy, I am going to try to get out some "movie fanatic" reviews. I am not a reviewer by any means and I have not gone to any formal education for film. However, I have seen thousands of movies and I have been in the business for over 24 years and I think that gives at least a little insight on movies.



Now on to the title at hand, ALICE IN WONDERLAND. There are reviews all over the place about this movie ranging from "dreadful" to the cliché "wonderful". I am not going to make common mistake most internet reviews do is give the ENTIRE plot of the movie. That is stupid and most people pretty much have the info at hand. However this movie does need a little preface before you go see it. This is NOT a straight translation of the original book or its sequel, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS. This movie is a completely original story based on the characters and information in Lewis Carroll's two books. It takes place about thirteen years later after the events of the other two stories. Alice returns to "Underland" where everybody knows who she is but she does not remember ever being there. Things have changed for the worse because of the Red Queen. Enough of that.



The reason you are reading this is to find out if it is worth seeing or not. Unlike the movie, that is a very grey area to go on about. I was already biased before even stepping foot into my auditorium. I am a ridiculously huge Tim Burton fan. I love all his movies…well, except PLANET OF THE APES. His library of titles can do without that one. I digress. I really like this movie. Great cast, decent story and the typical Burton trademark…amazing visual style and the music of Danny Elfman. Oh yeah…Johnny Depp. Lewis Carroll's inspired written imagery paired with Tim Burton's vision is a pair made in heaven. It was inevitable that Burton would do this movie. Almost more style over substance. With that out of the way, should you see it? If you are a Burton fan, that is easy…it is a resounding yes. If you are not a Burton fan, you will also probably not like this film. Those that are indifferent about him, give it a shot you may like it, you may not. Just like any other movie. Just be warned that you are not seeing the original story. If you do not who Tim Burton is, what rock have you been living under? He has a fantastic library films you need to catch up on. Well, except that remake of PLANET OF THE APES. Just pretend that does not exist.


Comments

Popular Posts