Cult Movies: We Want Lips! (list updated 9/7/09 1:52pm)

In my formative teen youth, I had just started working for a movie theatre. I already had a large appreciation for movies due to my parents ranging from the horror movie influence from my father and MG musicals from my mother. My first horror film I watched was the 1931 Lugosi movie DRACULA with my dad when I was 5. I am probably the only straight guy the will go "There goes the trolly!" if somebody yelled "Clang clang clang!". Thanks Mom! Working at the theatre just cemented my love movies even more. I love movies so much that I had given up programming as a career and now run a movie theatre. I do not watch as many movies on the big screen as I like or used to due to the responsibility of running a theatre, but I still see more movies in a year than most people see in a lifetime. With that said, a few months after I started working at the movie theatre in 1986, I was told I should see THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW because of my already forming eclectic tastes in movies. I did. I was never the same after that.

My mom's influence of the musicals and my dad's influence of horror films, I was doomed to get sucked in. I became consumed with it and ended up joining the cast shortly after that. I was truly accepted for being the oddball I was (and still am). When that cast was disbanded in 1990, I joined another (rival) cast. The 1st 4 years of shows were twice a weekend every weekend. I have seen that movie close to 1000 times, if not more. I performed for overall 11 years until I became the big boss man of a theatre and had to move away. However, I still keep in contact most of those friends I made in both casts. Yay Facebook and Twitter! They are like family to me. During the 11 period of performing, I consumed an incredible amount movies at home and at the theatre. At times, a week did not go by where I saw at least 10 -12 movies in that week at home and at the theatre. It did not matter if it was good or bad. I truly had an education in film. I am no Roger Ebert or Scorese with a super wealth of movie history or knowledge, but I know movies.

Now to the point. I have an overall love of movies but I have a penchant for sci fi, action, horror and comedy. Those genres fit quite nicely into cult movies. I have a very soft spot in my heart (not in my head silly) for these cult films. Now that I have been running a theatre as the GM for over 12 years, I just realized that I have some influence in setting up special run movies and festivals. Why it took me this long is beyond me. My plan is to run Friday midnights of cult movies. I have so far come up with a list of about 115 (and adding) titles with some help from the Twitterverse and Facebook. I will be posting below this list and updating this blog to reflect additions to the list. I am now asking you, the reader, if you are into such things as well and what would you like to see (listed or not)? I am looking for CULT MOVIES, not classics. If it is more popular than ROCKY HORROR, it is probably main stream. What would you pay for to see on the big screen? What does and does not belong on this list and why? Once I finalize this list, I will setup a presentation for my booker and superiors. They will check to see what movie are still in print and available for circulation. Hopefully all will go well and I will have these on screen every Friday at midnight on my giant screen by February of 2010.

One last thing, I am looking for ideas for a title of what to call this series. It can be straight laced and informative of what it is, like MIDNIGHT CULT MOVIE MADNESS, or something off the wall like THE TOMATOES OF WRATH CULT MOVIE SERIES. Whatever the best title ends up being, I will have you credited in the art work. I will put up a poll on Twitter for the series title once I have enough ideas and allow the Twitterverse vote on it...yay mob rule.

And now on to the main event. Here is the list so far...

A Bucket of Blood
Akira
Altered States
American Pop
Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes
Baraka
Barbarella
Blue Velvet
Boogie Nights
Boondock Saints
Brazil
Cannibal: The Musical
CB4
Cecil B Demented
City Of Lost Children
Clerks
Clockwork Orange
Dark City
Dazed & Confused
Dead Alive
Delicatessen
Demons
Donnie Darko
Doom Generation
Eraserhead
Escape From New York
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn
Faces of Death, Vol. 1
Faster, Pussy-Cat! Kill! Kill!
Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
Fight Club
Flash Gordon
Flesh for Frankenstein
Flesh Gordon
Freaks
Fritz The Cat
From Dusk Till Dawn
Hairspray
Half Baked
Hard Boiled
Harold & Maude
Heathers
Heavy Metal
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
House of a 1000 Corpses
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
I Spit On Your Grave
Ichi The Killer
Kentucky Fried Movie
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Koyaanisqatsi
Leon
Lunatics: A Love Story
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life Of Brian
Monty Python's Meaning Of Life
Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie
Naked Lunch
Natural Born Killers
Near Dark
Night Of The Living Dead
Old Boy
Orgazmo
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Phantom of The Paradise
Pink Flamingos (anything from John Waters)
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Polyester
Pootie Tang
Powaqatsi
Raising Arizona
Re-Animator
Reefer Madness (original)
Repo : The Genetic Opera
Repo Man
Requiem For A Dream
Resevoir Dogs
Return Of The Living Dead
Rock & Rule
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Santa Claus Conquers The Martions
Shaun of the Dead
Shock Treatment
Slither
Snatch
Spanking The Monkey
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert
The Big Lebowski
The Dead Next Door
The Devil's Rejects
The Gods Must Be Crazy
The Hunger
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Raven
The Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
The Toxic Avenger
The Warriors
They Live
This Is Spinal Tap
THX 1138
Time Bandits
Tommy
UHF
Vanishing Point
Videodrome
Watership Down
Wet Hot American Summer
Wizards
Yellow Submarine
Zardoz

Comments

Popular Posts